Ephesians 1

I kneel before the Father... and pray to know the width, length, height and depth of the LOVE of Christ... Amen

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Everything I need to know...


I'm going to start a "Everything I Need to Know I Learned from..." section in this blog of mine... It's as much for me as it is for anyone who stumbles upon it.
In this first addition, I'm going start with "Everything I need to know, I learned from White Christmas."
On this rainy Christmas eve, I have watched this classic all day, and I find something more enchanting about it and something more to love with every viewing.
Phil Davis jokes with Bob Wallace about settling down with a girl and starting a family with nine kids, and Bob shrugs him off saying he'll get around to it. Phil wittily replies, "When what's left of you gets around to what's left to be gotten, what's left to be gotten won't be worth getting, whatever it is you've got left."
Brilliant.
Moral: don't pass on love. pass on rolls (save the calories and go for more dessert).

Maybe my favorite lesson learned is one that I already had a good feeling about, but Phil and Judy reminded me so gracefully in their first scene together.
The best things really do happen while dancing... Think about it.
How long do you stay upset once you start dancing, especially when you're wrapped in the arms of a great partner? It doesn't have to be Fred Astaire or J. Timberlake, but someone who can twirl you a few times and end with a great dip.
If you even get the least mad, just dance it off... Dane Cook might have made fun of us fussy girls for going dancing to forget about our bad days, but there's truth to that.
We should make Obama, Bernanke, Pelosi, McCain, Sarah Mclachlan, Osama and anyone else who has some drama with the world and host a huge dance party... We could fix health care, save puppies/kittens, clear up climate control and maybe straighten up some Middle Eastern policies.




Great quotes:
Phil to Judy: In some ways, you're far superior to my cocker spaniel.

Judy: Yesterday, she couldn't sleep. Today, she won't eat. She's in love.
Phil: Well if that's love, somebody goofed.

Bob: Miss Haynes, if you're ever under a falling building and someone offers to pick you up and carry you to safety, don't think, don't pause, don't hesitate for a moment, just spit in his eye.
Betty: What did that mean?
Bob: It means we're going to Vermont.

According to local radio hosts, Santa is coming soon...
Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse
prolly bc my cat, Sancho, is on my bed.
Our Mickey and
Minnie stockings are hung by the chimney with haphazard care,
In hopes that St Nick soon will be there with nail polish, fishing lures and candies.
We children are nestled all snug in our beds- well couch,
While visions of sugar-plums dance in our heads and our annual viewing of the Griswold's Christmas.
I'll spare you all the lessons I have learned from that classic.

But I'll leave you with a final lesson...
"When I'm worried, and I can't sleep. I count my blessings instead of sheep..." Now if only, I could sing like Bing, I could peacefully drift off to sleep at the sound of my own voice.




Merry Christmas and God bless

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails